August 23, 2007

Haute Route: Going Where And Going Long

The next two points Mark Jenkins made about getting out into an adventure in the January issue of Outside magazine are these:

Go where you want to go, period: "If this is your big escape, don't be cheap. Do what you want."

Go Long: "Two weeks is the minimum. Any less and your head will never really disconnect from the office."

This isn’t so much an escape, but it is my trip. It’s possible that I could have found someone or ones to go with me if I’d changed the trip or the date. But, it’s only possible and I didn’t want to chance not going at all.

As soon as I read the description, I knew this was the trip for me. Miles of walking. Huge mountains with lots of high country. Starting at one of the premier centers for mountaineering in the world and ending at another, each with amazing history and drama. The huts and towns aren’t strictly necessary, but they do mean that I don’t have as much to carry, which is always a good thing.

I’ll be gone about three weeks, of which two weeks is walking, a few days in Munich, and the rest in travel overhead (though the train through Switzerland to Munich should, weather willing, be scenic).

No comments: